[Jool-list] WARNING (find_bib_session6): I'm running out of pool4 addresses for mark 0.

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:15:47 CDT 2022

Well, I don't know if you understand the relationship between pool4
and BIB, but basically,

- The message is telling you that Jool couldn't create a BIB binding,
because it seems to be out of pool4 transport addresses.

(It can't tell for sure, because the algorithm has an iteration limit.
But because the transport addresses are claimed randomly, it's pretty
likely it's either exhausted or almost exhausted.)

- Jool needs to create a new BIB binding more or less every time an
IPv6 client starts a connection through it. (And the bindings are
automatically reclaimed over time.)
- If pool4 is empty, Jool uses ports 61001-65535 of its machine's own
IPv4 address as pool4. So, if your machine has address 192.0.2.1, then
pool4 by default is transport addresses 192.0.2.1:61001 through
192.0.2.1:65535. So about 4500 BIB entries available.

So, if the error is correct, your two nodes (or something else) are
flooding the NAT64 with about 4500 connections.

You can count your BIB entries with

sudo jool bib display --tcp --numeric | wc -l
sudo jool bib display --udp --numeric | wc -l
sudo jool bib display --icmp --numeric | wc -l

If, when the message appears on dmesg, those commands count
substantially less than 4500 lines, we're looking at a bug.