[Jool-list] jool setup

Petre Tudor petre.tudor at cte.ro
Sat Aug 11 15:25:25 CDT 2018

Hello Aberto, Jordi

many thanks for the quick and detailed answers

@Alberto - actually the resources usage was the next question, but you
answered already; it looks like I found the software which does what I
need, the rest is in the details of the implementation.

@Jordi - the whole idea is thought for the residential users of an
emerging isp, as an attempt to minimise the ipv4 usage and also to
easily implement ipv6; the idea is in the early stages, but I imagine
something like a linux gateway running jool in front of an ipv6-only
network (ip's are assigned via pppoe), through which all uses exit;
those visiting ipv6 sites, go directly and those requesting ipv4-only
sites will be nat64-ed.

I am fully aware that a solution which covers 100% of the possible cases
is utopic, but I am happy if I can cover the normal cases; for the
"exotic" ones I could always assign an ipv4 via the dual stack pppoe and
solve the problem (these being the exceptions and not the rule)

many thanks again for answering so quick on a saturday evening,

cheers,

petre