[Jool-list] jool setup

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 14:27:51 CDT 2018

These don't really address your first question directly, but might
serve as a reference point. They are everything I managed to collect
that is both public and refers to performance:

(https://mail-lists.nic.mx/pipermail/jool-list/2018-July/000199.html)
First off, you're definitively not hitting the performance limit of Jool - it
easily scales to multiple Gb/s of throughput. There must be something else
that is causing your issues.

(https://mail-lists.nic.mx/pipermail/jool-list/2017-October/000158.html)
Jool, even 3.5.4 Jool, withstands T-Rex's torture traffic without
flinching. There are no significant performance issues to worry about. CPU
usage is at 1% at worst and there are no packet drops.
I can now say fairly confidently that Jool is pretty darn
fast, even without the latest performance tweaks applied, as evidenced from
the fact that, now that whatever was hobbling before is gone, it is pretty
clear that Jool can keep up to at least this configuration of T-Rex with
flying colors.

(https://mail-lists.nic.mx/pipermail/jool-list/2016-September/000091.html)
> What is the CPU load on the x86 SIIT-BRs from Jool?
Our are practically idle. They are translating about 100Mb/s of mostly
web traffic. The hardware is quite old even, Sun X4170s with 2x
quad-core Intel L5520 CPUs. Less than a quarter of a single CPU core is
used for the entire system (so not only Jool), the remaining 7.75 CPU
cores are idle.

--------

BTW: We're currently working on a performance bug that affects packets
that never traverse physical interfaces:
https://github.com/NICMx/Jool/issues/267