[Jool-list] Jool performance help

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Jul 12 02:09:10 CDT 2018

* ali at acreto.io

> I’ve installed Jool kernel modules and userspace application on Ubuntu. jool_siit is running in a network namespace and I’m using veth pairs for network I/O. Please find attached details of my test environment.
>
> However, while running the TCP throughput test, I was able to achieve only 6Mbps of throughput. I’ve tested it by doing both *GRO on and off* on all the relevant interfaces with no performance improvements.
>
> We are evaluating Jool for carrier grade NAT64 in our network infrastructure.
>
> I was wondering if you can help me to improve performance results. Is there any tweaks or workarounds to overcome the performance limitation by Jool.

Hi Muhammad,

First off, you're definitively not hitting the performance limit of Jool - it
easily scales to multiple Gb/s of throughput. There must be something else
that is causing your issues.

Even though you said you turned GRO off, my suspicion would be something with
packet sizes. Are there other offload settings you can turn off? MTU settings
on all the interfaces are all okay?

Also, check with tcpdump on all the relevant interfaces to see if the test
traffic is causing lots of ICMP Frag Needed/Packet Too Big errors.

Tore