[Jool-list] WARNING (find_bib_session6): I'm running out of pool4 addresses for mark 0.

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Mar 16 16:38:48 CDT 2022

Brian J. Murrell via Jool-list <jool-list at nic.mx> wrote:
    > Why map a source port if it's not being used by the NATting device,

Not sure why are arguing with the author.
He didn't say that we were allocating a port for every internal port.

There have been extensive discussions on the jool list about how to make it
work better with netfilter, but there are challenges since netfilter is
currently IPv4 only or IPv6 only with different tables.  And locks and RCUs
to deal with.

    >> A mapping needs to be created every time a new source port is used.

    > Yes, understood.  But the entire 64K of ports are usable and only need
    > re-mapping if in use, which should be rare on small internal networks.

But, they aren't all available, because we can't share a port with NAT44.

(aka mcr at tcpdump.org, btw)