[Jool-list] Moving to jool

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 12:44:51 CST 2019

Hi, Nico

Thanks for the heads up. I gave a quick read to a few points in your
thesis and I'm finding some of your results intriguing.

In particular, this:

> Both software solutions showed significant loss of packets in the UDP based benchmarks (Tayga: up to 91%, Jool up to 71%)

is quite worrying and suggests a substantial bug in Jool's
implementation that needs attention. I will try to replicate your
tests and hopefully find the root cause in the following days.

I also noticed this:

> Neither Tayga as a userspace program nor Jool as a kernel module implement multi threading.

Unless something has fundamentally changed in the kernel without me
noticing, I believe this is incorrect, or at least inaccurate. While
it's possible that your machine could be dedicating one core to all
packets, Jool's code is certainly prepared to handle multiple packets
simultaneously.

I have managed to surpass 100% CPU utilization in the past and even
perceive jumbled logging due to simultaneous packet processing. It's
been a while since the last time I tortured-tested Jool so this could
be outdated. Maybe I should look into this as well.

(The kernel handles packets by way of interrupts, and each interrupt
can be assigned to a different CPU. If your kernel is assigning the
same CPU to all your packets, I believe this can be addressed by
configuration. Did you see https://serverfault.com/a/335251?)

I'm also finding other quirks that might merit some discussion.
However, it seems that your thesis was finished in August. Would you
benefit from a review?

Cheers,
Alberto