[Jool-list] NAT64 behind NAT44?

Maurice Walker mail at maurice-walker.com
Mon Nov 12 15:24:13 CST 2018

Hello,

I'd like to migrate a LAN to IPv6-only. It has been Dual Stack for many years, Internet connectivity is also Dual Stack. IPv4-only clients won't be an issue, but access to the IPv4 Internet is required. So using NAT64 and DNS64 seems to be a good idea. Initial testing with Go6Lab's public Jool NAT64 was very promising (thanks guys!).

The existing WAN-facing router can't do NAT64, doesn't run Linux, cannot be easily replaced and uses the only public IPv4 address. So I locally deployed a dedicated NAT64 VM (OpenWrt with Jool) and gave it an RFC1918 address. Which means NAT64 (performed by Jool) followed by traditional masquerading (performed by the existing router). It works, but I noticed some issues like video streams dropping out and delays when loading certain websites. Those can't be reproduced when using Go6Lab's public Jool NAT64. I did not yet investigate the root cause since this configuration might not be a good idea after all. What do you think? Would it be better to run Jool somewhere in the cloud? Any other options?

Thanks,
Maurice