[Jool-list] Jool 3.4.0 release candidate 2

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:10:27 CST 2015

Hello

Due to common sense, I will start broadcasting news of Jool's
important release candidates as they come up via this medium. If
people tries the software, learns the new features and has the drive
to grow opinions on them, maybe we can avoid some headaches before
they're written in stone.

We're currently standing in the second release candidate of Jool
3.4.0. There's a temporal branch pointing to it called "rc2" and can
be nicely pinpointed in the Network Graph of the Github repository
(https://github.com/NICMx/NAT64/network). As you can see, the
documentation has still evolved from there, but the new commits
haven't touched the code.

rc2 has passed all the unit/integration testing and two instances (one
SIIT, one NAT64) have been running in a public network for over a week
without problems. I'd say, at least using our configuration, it's
pretty stable. Once I'm done wrapping up the documentation, I'm ready
to release. I will, however, wait till next week to hear criticism.

If anything, pool4 saw significant improvements, but the new
implementation did back off on some ideas and it's the most likely
eyebrow raiser. I left a discussion on its new design on the wiki
(https://github.com/NICMx/NAT64/wiki/pool4:-Jool-3.3-vs-Jool-3.4)
whose source can also be found attached to this mail (wiki.md). Also
attached is a snapshot of the documentation as of now, in HTML format
(_site.zip).

Regarding the documentation, these are the documents that saw major updates:

- pool4 (en/pool4.html and en/usr-flags-pool4.html)
- The lack of a second IPv4 address in the Stateful NAT64 runs
(en/mod-run-stateful.html)
- Forwarding and offloading remarks (en/mod-run-vanilla.html)
- The kernel module installation (en/mod-install.html)
- The userspace app installation (en/usr-install.html)

These are new:

- SIIT-DC architectures (en/siit-dc.html and en/siit-dc-2xlat.html)
- modprobe arguments (en/modprobe-siit.html and en/modprobe-nat64.html)

And this is still missing:

- The Host-Based Edge Translation article.
- Another complete pass on the spanish version.

If you have any feedback, please let us now.

Thanks
The Jool Team