[Jool-list] Trying to route local traffic via SIIT instance

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Jun 30 19:57:50 CDT 2020

Tore Anderson via Jool-list <jool-list at nic.mx> wrote:
    > clatd predates Jool, or at least the necessary SIIT bits within Jool.
    > If I was to re-implement clatd today, I would do it using Jool as the
    > translation engine instead of TAYGA. As Alberto has pointed out
    > already, you can do this with Jool no problem.

    > All you need to do is to enclose Jool in a private network namespace.
    > Then you point the IPv4 default route to the veth device connecting to
    > the Jool network namespace (in exactly the same manner that clatd
    > points the IPv4 default route to the tun device connecting to the TAYGA
    > process).

I think that this (Jool in private network namespace) just needs a slightly
better documented set of examples.   Maybe some python that knows how to do all the
right system calls directly.  I was certainly... UGH... do I want to try.?

(I still haven't been able to get Jool in netfilter mode to work so that
I can split traffic according to IPv6 origin between instances.
So I use the iptables method for now)

If it gets into upstream nftables... woohoo. That would be awesome.
openwrt is moving to nftables sometime this year too.
Combine Jool+openwrt and draft-ietf-6man-v6only DHCP flag, and many places
could start to shed NAT44 quite easily...  hmm. Seeing ungleigh on the
CC... I imagine Jool is in your VoCore IPv6 router?  Looking forward to
receiving mine.

{and many thanks for this work}