[Jool-list] exempting local networks from dns64

Brian & Jennifer Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jan 17 08:14:03 CST 2020

On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 12:05 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> https://www.jool.mx/en/dns64.html has an interesting description of
> setting up dns64 and it works for Internet host lookups.
>
> What it doesn't do though is account for addresses in the DNS server
> for local subnets.

It does actually.  Per the bind manual:

   This directive instructs named to return mapped IPv4 addresses to
   AAAA queries when there are no AAAA records.

So if AAAA RRs are present for your local network hosts, they will be
returned in preference to dns64 AAAA records.

My problem was that the AAAA records for the local network host that
was getting it's IPv4 address dns64'd had somehow disappeared.

Hopefully this helps somebody else out in the future that has this
problem.

Cheers,
b.