[Jool-list] Active-active NAT64

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Dec 5 07:04:45 CST 2019

* Nico Schottelius

> a follow up from the recent joold discussion: how would one run
> active-active NAT64 with jool? We would like to get rid of keepalived in
> our setup and so far we decided to statically assign the routing IPs to
> both routers.
>
> This way, if either of them goes down, the other one directly takes over
> the traffic.
>
> However, with NAT64, we will need to have the session table also
> synchronised at all times.

We use anycast/ECMP routing of the NAT64 prefix (pool6) to multiple Jool instances. Each instance has a private unicat pool4.

This obviously means that if Jool instance fail, the sessions handled by the failed instance will be reset and clients will be forced to reconnect.

In spite of this, we feel that this is a good solution as it avoids all the complexity and overhead of keeping the session and BIB tables in sync across multiple Jool instances.

Tore