[Jool-list] Jool and VirtualBox

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Jul 28 11:39:08 CDT 2018

Hi all,

I've the following setup:

Host1 - Ubuntu with Jool as NAT64

eth0 to Internet (dual-stack)

eth1 to CLAT (IPv6-only)

eth1 can be ethernet or attached to a WiFi AP

-> host 1 works fine, no problems here, I've tested that in several ways, including an OpenWRT as the CLAT and dual-stack clients behind it

Option a)

Host2 - Mac OSX with VirtualBox

VM1 - Ubuntu with Jool as CLAT

Only one physical interface is used to connect to eth1 in host1, so shared (bridge) with the OSX

This interface can be either Ethernet or WiFi

-> IPv4 doesn't work if the interface is WiFi and this is the interface that I really need ...

	- ping6 works to both literal and dns

	- ping doesn't work

	- traceroute doesn't work

	- traceroute6 works to both literal and dns

	- wget only works with IPv6, not if I force IPv4 with -4

-> IPv4 works if the interface is Ethernet, but some strange things happen with IPv6:

	- ping6 and ping work to both literal and dns

	- traceroute work to both literal and dns

	- traceroute6 only works if I force with -I ICMP instead of UDP

	- wget only works with IPv4, not if I force IPv6 with -6

Option b)

Host2 - Mac OSX with VMware Fusion

VM1 - Ubuntu with Jool as CLAT

Only one physical interface is used to connect to eth1 in host1, so shared (bridge) with the OSX

This interface can be either Ethernet or WiFi

It work in both IPv4 and IPv6 (ping6 see some DUP, but I think is normal because I'm "sharing" a WiFi for both paths)

Option c)

Host2 - Mac OSX with VirtualBox

VM1 - Ubuntu with Jool as CLAT

VM2 - Ubuntu as "client" of the CLAT

Only one physical interface is used to connect to eth1 in host1

This interface can be either Ethernet or WiFi

The connection between VM1 and VM2 is using "intnet" (internal network)

-> Nothing works if the interface is WiFi

-> Everything works if the interface is Ethernet

To make the setup easier, and ensure no mistakes in any config step, all the interfaces are configured with static addresses.

I will be happy if I can make work just option c, but with WiFi, as this is for a workshop where the students will connect to an AP, no way we can provide long ethernet cables for everyone ...

Option b with VMware is not an easy option, as it needs a license for each student ...

I don't think (in principle) it is a Jool issue, beause it works with VMware, but I don't really know if there is some strange interaction with VirtualBox that Jool may need to consider.

So, anyone has got similar issues with VirtualBox? Long time ago it had issues with IPv6 with using a wireless interface, but I believe this was not the case since several years ago ...

Regards,

Jordi

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?