[Jool-list] Performance scaling

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 09:50:37 CST 2017

Hi

> I was wondering what the limits are for performance scaling for jool. How much traffic (bandwidth/pps) can jool handle?

Sorry; we don't really know. This post, however, might grant some
reference. It looks quite optimistic:

https://mail-lists.nic.mx/pipermail/jool-list/2016-September/000091.html

Note, however, that it's only talking about SIIT Jool.

> Does adding extra CPUs help?

Yes, we have confirmed that the kernel is able to defer packets to
Jool simultaneously:

https://github.com/NICMx/Jool/issues/69#issuecomment-23889333

Some of Jool's code relies on spinlocks, however, so it should not
scale perfectly linearly.

> I'm basically wondering if it's possible to build a box for jool that can do multi-gbit/s of imix traffic :)

Sorry I'm not being very helpful, but we do not have access to a
real/natural network that is able to push Jool to its limits. We
rather need to rely on our users for this.

Hope I didn't leave you exactly where you started.
Alberto