[Jool-list] EAM vs 6052

Alberto Leiva ydahhrk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:47:32 CDT 2015

> The implementation must (per 6145bis) *support* both, but that doesn't
> necessarily mean that it requires both to be configured by the user.

But where's the latter half of that specified?

My point is that this doesn't seem to me like the selling ropes
situation. We cannot expect the operator to mind intermediary nodes
with untranslatable addresses while configuring an EAM/SIIT. This
detail slipped past even the writers of the original SIIT/6052, which
is the reason why 6791 had to happen later.

If an operator casually chooses to use the EAMT but no 6052 prefix in
a situation where every IPv4 address is supposed to be translatable,
everything will *appear* to work. It's *our* fault if the translator
starts dropping traffic, not theirs. WE are the ones tying the rope to
their necks.

If 6052 is optional, I believe we NEED a fallback 4 to 6 translation option.

> In neither of
> these use cases you need pool6 or a v6-pool6791, so why force the admin
> to configure some bogus never to be used prefixes?

Well, in the case of v6-pool6791 I'm not technically forcing them
since it would default to its host address.

I do dislike the v6-pool6791 approach though, since it sounds somewhat
overcomplicated.

Although it also sounds like the most scalable solution, in case
future address translation algorithms appear, which also can't
guarantee a 6 to 4 translation.