[Jool-list] RFC: Limiting EAM algorithm to specific header fields

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Apr 9 07:04:58 CDT 2015

(Fixed Cc...)

* Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>

> Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> (by way of Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no>)
> wrote:
>     > I believe it is possible to make hairpinning through the
>     > gateway work by avoiding to apply the EAM algorithm to certain
>     > address fields. In the above case, if you disable it for the
>     > IPv4 SRC field, the outcome should be the following:
>
> Would the following heuristic work:
>  - avoid EAM translation on SRC if the DST is on the same translator
> as the packet arrived at.

Not really, see my response to Alberto.

> Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> (by way of Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no>)
> wrote:
>     > An implementation SHOULD provide a mechanism to disable the EAM
>     > algorithm for any of the eight possible address fields
>     > ({IP,ICMP}v{4,6}.{SRC,DST}). By default, the EAM algorithm
>     > should be enabled for all address fields.
>
> I don't like the manual configuration necessary here.

Well, by default all fields would be considered. So the manual
configuration would only be necessary if you're trying to accomplish
something specific.

I don't quite see how it could be made to work in every possible use
case in a completely automagic fashion...

Tore