[Jool-list] Node-based translation with LTE

Mosbeck Martin mmo at mission-embedded.com
Tue Feb 6 06:43:42 CST 2024

Hello everyone,

thanks for this great tool and the amazingly good documentation!

I have a question regarding node-based translation (as described in
https://nicmx.github.io/Jool/en/node-based-translation.html). I would
like to
use this for a router which has a public IPv6 LTE connection and clients
connected to it via a private IPv4 LAN. Both router and clients have
applications with hardcoded IPv4 addresses.

I’m wondering what to choose as the "proxy address for the private Jool's
traffic" (2001:db8:1::3 in the example). From first experiments - which
worked
nicely - I understand, this address is not really private, but used in
packets
sent via the Internet. From my LTE provider I get an IPv6 address with a /64
prefix. Can I just pick any address inside this /64 subnet without risking
address collisions with someone else? Can I be sure that any IPv6 LTE
provider
always offers me some range of addresses rather than only a single one?

Thank You & Best

Martin