[Jool-list] NAT64 pool4 size / error when too big

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Thu Nov 14 12:18:12 CST 2019

Hello again,

I just realised that while testing jool w/ pool4 in stateful NAT64,
using bigger networks gives the following error message:

fakerouter1:~# jool pool4 add 10.0.0.0/20 2-32000 --tcp
Error: Warning: You're adding lots of addresses, which might defeat the whole point of NAT64 over SIIT.
Error: Will cancel the operation. Use --force to override this.

While we certainly won't need a /20 for the first productive site (it
might actually be more like a /29), I wonder why this should be a
problem?

Haven't checked the code of jool, but isn't it something on the line of
having a queue / O(1) based get_next_free_ip_port() in jool that
shouldn't really care about the size of the IPv4 pool?

Or is the motivation of the error (not warning) message solely to
prevent people from trying to map a full IPv6 network (/112 or similar)
to an IPv4 space?

Best regards,

Nico

--